Monday 13 June 2011

George Shaw - The Sly and Unseen Day

 George Shaw, Scenes from The Passion: The Cop Shop (1999-2000). Humbrol enamel on board

A must see show at the South London Gallery (until 3rd July) with a talk by Shaw on 22nd June which I definately want to go to.

The only slightly frustrating thing was the lighting, which somehow seemed to make the pictures difficult to examine.  I read that Shaw had the central atrium over the gallery covered up to get the effect he wanted.

I also learned that he is a current nominee for the Turner prize and that he's almost the same age (maybe a year younger) as the artist I used to confuse him with, David Rayson.  I'd be interested to read some comparative criticism of these two artists if anyone feels up to the task??

David Rayson - Just Lately




No comments:

Post a Comment