Monday 25 April 2011

The Bungalows, Brandon Estate, Southwark SE17


This amazing place I found completely by chance on my way to the Sterling building and I thought at first sight that the long single storey brick structures must be a nursery or health centre.

In fact, as you can see from the map above, the 7 H-blocks each consist of 4 self contained bungalows and although all the glazing has been replaced with PVC they still have an amazing modernist elegance which wouldn't look out of place in a leafy bit of Hampstead.



I more or less walked round the whole thing with my mouth open, marvelling at the quality of the hard landscaping and the lush planting whilst catching occassional glimpses of Bukowskian figures moving from kitchens to lounges to inner rooms beyond.










No comments:

Post a Comment